Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Journey with SK-II


Self-explanatory title. Just like any other girls, I find skincare a very personal matter (the demand is pretty inelastic haha). Certain products work for some people, but not all. My friends and some random people often ask how I've managed to keep my skin tight and healthy. I don't have an acne-prone skin. I haven't used foundation more than twice my whole life and make-up is not something I'm really good at. In fact, my skin's not as good as what people might have thought, I have pore problems due to my combination skin type and having blackheads is almost unavoidable sometimes. Anyway, I've only been using two brands of skincare products regularly, i.e. Clinique and SK-II. My love affair with SK-II started in 2006, when I started my first year in university. Expensive, premium skincare for an undergraduate student, I know. I had used Clinique for years and it was time to switch, a decision partly influenced by my mom. The picture above shows nearly all the SK-II products I own (I forgot the masks and cleanser) - my room is too small, can't find a place to take better picture so that will have to do for now. Don't get me wrong, I don't use all of them everyday. Here are only several products I use regularly. The steps might differ for each user.

1. Facial Treatment Cleanser. The daily facial soap/cleanser. I love its milky, creamy texture and it cleanses off the oily bit of my skin. It won't leave a very dry effect on your face. 
2. Facial Treatment Clear Lotion. This is like the toner, if you wanna call it in everyday's language. It's part of the cleansing process and personally, I feel rather refreshed after applying this with using cotton pads. 
3. Facial Treatment Essence. This is probably the ONE single product SK-II is very famous for. It's often called 'miracle water' or 'holy water'. I love it a lot as it keeps my skin fully hydrated, especially during the winter in England.
4. Facial Lift Emulsion. The ultimate moisturiser. I know SK-II carries different versions of moisturising lotion, but this is the only one that I've been using from the beginning. It's more expensive, but it does its job. When I'm really lazy, I just wash my face and apply this and skip all the previous steps - a bad habit (not recommended). 
5. Facial Treatment UV Protection. The SPF lotion. This is not available in the UK and is probably only available in Asia. I bought it from home. I apply it after step 4 every morning. 
6. Signs Eye Cream. I prefer this eye cream to Advanced Eye Treatment Film. It's very expensive for its size and honestly, I haven't seen much improvement yet. I have to blame myself for irregular usage though, but it does keep the skin below my eyes hydrated. 

I haven't been using the other products regularly, partly because I don't really use make-up products and there isn't a need to use the Cleansing Oil regularly. My friend told me it's important to use it if I apply the UV protection lotion - thanks for the advice, I should start using it. I also don't really make use of any night cream - one moisturiser does all the jobs for me, which is something I should look into more. I'm not sure how long I'll be using SK-II since now that I'm no longer a dependant, I'll need to spend within budget and SK-II is very expensive, especially in the UK. Some of its products are also unavailable in London (Harrods is probably its only authorised seller). Furthermore, there's a myth that one shouldn't be using the same brand for too long. Nevertheless, I can definitely say that I'm pretty satisfied with the skin results I've had with SK-II for the past 5 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment