Sunday, September 11, 2011

DIY - Yogurt Mask


Another random post about skincare. Personally, I'm not a big fan of yoghurt, eating too much yoghurt makes me quick sick. I guess it's something I'm not very used to, but hey, I discovered the benefits of applying yoghurt mask online couple months ago. I've been wanting to write about my experience with yoghurt mask for a while now, so here it is. Everyone knows that yoghurt is a very nutritious food, but I wonder how many people actually know about its acne-minimising benefit. I don't have an acne-prone skin, but yoghurt mask has shown an impressive result in minimising my pores. I'll explain below. Apparently, yoghurt is also good when it comes to reducing discolouration and preventing premature ageing. Just what people my age need right?! It's good because it's cheap. I'm not saying you should completely let go of your over-the-counter skincare products or even premium ones. There's a really important thing I need to mention here before going further about my experience. The suitable type of yoghurt is the plain yoghurt. Hence, no strawberry or chocolate-flavoured yoghurt can be used.

I applied yoghurt mask for a week before travelling in June. I did try several combinations and got different results. I left the mask on for about 25-30 minutes each.
1. Plain yoghurt (more or less 2 spoonfuls). The result was great, I felt much refreshed. The thing I dislike about applying only yoghurt is that it's rather watery. I like to apply it thickly, especially on my T-zone area, so it was hard for me to move around after the application.
2. Plain yoghurt + lemon water (I squeezed the lemon water myself- not exactly sure how much, I reckon it's half a lemon). I did feel my pores were minimised a lot and my nose area became much smoother, but my other skin areas became much drier. Maybe I used too much lemon water (something else I should try experimenting). I know lemon is really good if you have excess sebum.
3. Plain yoghurt + 1 egg white. I obtained the best result with this combination. My skin was tighter (egg white does the trick) and it wasn't overly dry. I used this for 5 days consecutively and my blackheads disappeared almost completely. It lasted for nearly 20 days too.

I heard it's good to add some honey as well. I haven't got around to try that. I'm kind of tempted to use moderate amount of lemon water in my plain yoghurt + egg white combination too and see the result. Maybe I will do it when I get the time too. Plus, I don't see the harm of using natural ingredients. I guess you should really try it yourself as everyone has different skin types. I've been persuading my sister to do the same as she has an acne-prone skin, but she hates the smell. I guess that's the trade-off right? There's no free lunch in the world. You need to suffer from the smell a little bit before achieving the result. Do share your findings here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment